Simmer Down: Milagu Rasam Is the Immunity Booster You Need – Thrillist
1. In a mortar and pestle, grind pepper and cumin into a coarse powder.
2. Roughly crush the garlic pods.
3. Chop the tomatoes and mash them with your fingers so that they turn mushy. (You can also blend in a mixer, but it is advisable to use your fingers.)
4. In a cup of hot water, soak tamarind for five to ten minutes.
5. Squeeze the pulp for that dark tamarind extract.
6. Discard the fibers, membranes, and seeds, if any.
7. Pour oil into a pot.
8. When warm, throw in the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
9. As they crackle, add the curry leaves, asafoetida, and turmeric powder.
10. Break the chili into two halves and toss it into the pot.
11. Tip in the mashed tomatoes and let it cook till it softens.
12. Pour the tamarind extract and one and a half cups of water into the pot.
13. Bolster the brew with the cumin and pepper spice mix.
14. Let it come to a simmer. When it starts to froth and bubble, take it off the gas. Do not allow it to come to a roaring boil.
15. Add salt.
16. Tear the coriander leaves with your fingers and garnish the Milagu Rasam.
Serve immediately with steaming hot rice, pickle, and papadum. Alternatively, you can also enjoy this heavenly potion as a soup.